What is the difference between online and in-person psychotherapy or coaching?
When you need to overcome a problem or overcome a challenge, both psychotherapy and coaching can help you.
Nevertheless, a lack of time or tight schedules, end up delaying this decision, which could actually offer the solution that you need.
In my practice as Psychologist-Coach I have noticed that a Skype session can have the same results as an in-person session, and with some advantages.
In this post I’ll talk about some of them.
- 1 The advantages of online psychotherapy or coaching
- 2 How does online psychotherapy or coaching work?
- 3 Results of online psychotherapy or coaching
- 4 Have a free test
The advantages of online psychotherapy or coaching
1. Schedule flexibility
It’s easier to find a moment to do an online psychotherapy or coaching session because you don’t have to move or fit it in a specific schedule.
Since you do it from home, we can find a schedule that adapts to your needs.
You save through three ways:
- Saving money: online meetings are more economical than in-person sessions. By not having to pay for renting a room or a center, the therapist can lower the price a bit more.
- Saving time: since you don’t have to move, you save yourself the time that you would have going and returning from the site.
- Saving in transportation: not only will you save time by not having to move, but you’ll also save money because you don’t have to pay for gas or public transport.
Nowadays the Internet allows you to access any person no matter where they are in the world.
Some people have difficulties getting around and others, sometimes, just can’t, as in case of certain phobias.
The best thing is that if you like how a psychologist, therapist or coach works, you don’t have to limit yourself to those that live near your house, you can remain in contact with the professional you identify with the most.
4. Comfort and Privacy
Having online psychotherapy or coaching from your own house, while sitting comfortably on your sofa, or in that personal space, gives you a different feeling than when you go to a place that you don’t know.
The power of choosing where in your home you want to do your session, gives you the privacy that some other space might not give you.
5. Choosing well
To make a good decision when choosing a professional to do online psychotherapy or coaching, you can investigate this person on the Internet and social networks.
Psychologists or coaches that work online:
- Tend to have lots of information on their websites
- They may also have a blog, which will allow you to know a bit more about the person
- Or you may even find a video
And with all that, you can evaluate how you feel about that person and their process.
6. Emergency sessions
I don’t know if all online psychologists offer this option, but at least I do.
- If you’re feeling down
- Something happens that paralyzes you
- You freeze because of something or someone
- Something happens that leaves you in shock
- Anxiety or panic take control of you
The Internet allows us to treat the emergency directly at the moment of the crisis.
How does online psychotherapy or coaching work?
For any online meeting, you’ll need:
- A mobile phone, computer or tablet
- Internet connection
If you don’t have this program, you can download it for free by clicking on the following image.
Once you’ve downloaded it you’ll need to create a username and a password.
We can befriend each other using that username, and from then on, have a free video call.
Video allows us to see each other and have a conversation, like we would do in-person.
Results of online psychotherapy or coaching
Based on my experience I can state that the results are the same.
The experience is of course different, but from my point of view, the important thing is for you to solve your problems and/or achieve your challenges, independently of which channel you use to obtain it.
Have a free test
In case you didn’t know this, I offer one online psychotherapy or coaching session or online couples therapy, for free.
So if you have never done an online session, you can try it and see how it feels.
After experiencing it, you’ll be able to decide whether online meetings are an option for you or not.
Also, you will be able to get to know me and see how you feel with me, since it’s important to experience that too.
If you want to try an online session with me and you don’t quite get Skype, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll help you in what I can.